Career HW Help
By the end of this activity, you will be able to locate additional methods of obtaining information about careers and occupations.
Thus far, you have used the Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH) and learned that you can access more detailed information about hundreds of occupations including the nature of the work, training requirements, salary range, and outlook through the next decade. You have also viewed videos depicting a typical day for various jobs/career tracks. What other ways can you “test drive a career”?
Another more personal way to gain first hand information is by conducting an informational interview with someone in your desired field. This is not a job interview, but rather an in-person interview that you initiate to learn more about the job or career field. You can also consider taking a part time job in the field to get experience. Volunteering a few hours of your time each week in an organization in your field can also provide more valuable insight. Any work experience you can obtain with paid or unpaid work will increase your knowledge and skills and be a great addition to your resume. Plus, you can give back to the community while gaining new contacts, skills and experience. It is a win-win situation!
• Read the article on informational interviewing, “ The Benefits of Informational Interviewing” [PDF File size 559 KB], M. Gunner
• Review the “Guidelines for Informational Interviewing/ Tutorial”, Quintcareers.com
• Read the article on volunteering, “Benefits of Volunteering”, Suite 101.com or click here for article.
Now complete the following:
Based on these guiding questions, submit to your instructor with 1-4 paragraphs that clearly responds.
• Do you think an informational interview would provide beneficial information? Why or why not?
• Would you feel comfortable conducting an informational interview?
• What type of volunteer work have you done, or would like to do in the future? Explain.
• Describe the benefits volunteer work can bring to the career exploration and planning process.
DUE at 12 PM PST. Must be complete by then and no plagarism. Ensure to follow ALL directions and use ALL materials in prompt.