Mental Health in the USA
The purpose of this assignment is to enhance the student’s knowledge on the state of mental health in the United States.
- Identify key elements in the evolution of mental health in the United States.
- Discuss determinants of mental health and how they affect health outcomes in rural communities.
- Examine crucial factors that influence Americans to seek mental health care.
- Outline the National Academy of Medicine’s report, Improving the Quality of Health Care for Mental and Substance-Use Conditions, vision for addressing mental health in the United States.
The burden of mental health illness in the United States continues to be of great concern to healthcare providers and stakeholders. While there is no single cause for mental illness, a number of factors can contribute to a person’s risk for mental illness throughout their lifetime. Previous studies have shown that adults with mental health conditions have greater health care needs and are at higher risk for poor health outcomes but may have reduced access to services.
For your discussion board assignment, please answer one the following questions and support your answers with reputable literature/publications/guidelines, etc. Respond to at least one of your classmates (must be a different question/topic than yours). If you agree with your classmate, support your discussion with a reputable resource. If you disagree with your classmate, explain why and support your discussion with a reputable resource.
- How has the mental health system evolved in the last 100 years? Give examples.
- Outline determinants of mental health and how they affect health outcomes especially in rural communities.
- Although the United States has seen an increase in health insurance coverage among Americans, it has not translated into an increase in adults seeking mental health care. Why? Explain.
- How has the National Academy of Medicine’s report, Improving the Quality of Health Care for Mental and Substance-Use Conditions, contribute to the future of mental health care in the United States? Explain.