To prepare: Review the case provided by your instructor for this week’s Discussion and consider your differential diagnostic process for them. Be sure to consider any past diagnoses and what influence those might have on their current diagnosis and needs. Finally, return to the Week 1 resources on stigma and reflect on stigma related to personality disorders.
Post a response in which you address the following:
- Provide the full DSM-5 diagnosis. Remember, a full diagnosis should include the name of the disorder, ICD-10-CM code, specifiers, severity, and the Z codes (other conditions that may need clinical attention). Keep in mind a diagnosis covers the most recent 12 months.
- Explain the diagnosis by matching the symptoms identified in the case to the specific criteria for the diagnosis.
- Support your decision by identifying the symptoms which meet specific criteria for each diagnosis.
- Identify any close differentials and why they were eliminated. Concisely support your decisions with the case materials and readings.
- Explain how diagnosing a client with a personality disorder may affect their treatment.
- Analyze how power and privilege may influence who is labeled with a personality disorder and which types of personality disorders.
- Identify how trauma affects the case, either precipitating the diagnosis and/or resulting from related symptoms or treatment of diagnosis. Resources
Be sure to support your post with specific references to this week’s resources. If you are using additional articles, be sure to provide full APA-formatted citations for your references.
Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM-5 5TH 13
Morrison, J. (2014). Diagnosis made easier (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Guilford Press.
- Chapter 16, “Diagnosing Personality and Relationship Problems” (pp. 251–270)