Due in 30 hours from now/Due by 8 am on Wednesday Eastern US time
The proposal assignment is an important assignment in this course because it utilizes many of the skills we discussed over the last few weeks. You have a few choices for this assignment.
1. A recently deceased alumnus of PSU, Wayne K. Newton, left $100,000 for a project on the Lehigh Valley (or your home campus) that will have a long-term benefit to students. On behalf of a student organization or student government, choose a project that will enhance the quality of academic or social life on your campus and write a proposal addressed to the Chancellor Ann Williams, Mary C. Newton, his widow, and Phig E. Newton, his son, to decide.
2. Read page 463-464 in our text, and select one of the ideas listed under #3. If you select this option, make sure you have a clear audience for your proposal.
3. The following option of the assignment asks you to write a proposal on behalf of a non-profit organization to receive funding for a project that you will develop. Begin thinking about the proposal by identifying a need. Examples include funding for after-school baseball leagues, breast cancer research and a documentary film to document the threatened habitat of mountain gorillas. Give your subject careful thought. Be idealistic. Foundations are set up to reward idealism. If you identify a cause you believe is important (and interesting), the research and writing will be easier.
Pick a non-profit to represent and ask for money for your proposed program from ABC Charity Trust. Feel free to ask for any amount of money and create names of people you are writing to. Your goal is to get your project funded. Be professional and persuasive in your appeal. (assignment adapted from http://www.faculty.english.vt.edu/Collier/3764/assign/proposal.htm).
4. Select a project for a local company or government office and write a proposal to get you or your company accepted. Ideas include
- Creating a brochure or web page
- Conducting a training program
- Writing a newsletter or annual report
- Developing a marketing plan
- Providing a certain service
Step One: Memo. (This is due in a discussion forum)
You must select a topic and write a short memo to me explaining why you chose this topic and what research you plan on using. I will be looking for answers to the following questions in your memo.
· What topic have you selected and why?
· How do you foresee solving the problem? Have you analyzed what a good solution will require?
· What research do you plan to use?
Step Two: Proposal.
You will write a formal proposal that will most likely end up being at least 7 pages in length. Each student’s proposal may vary somewhat in format, so I will not give you specifics as to what is needed right now. As we go through the pieces, you will decide what will work best for your proposal.
Step Three: Proposal Presentation
You will create a PowerPoint using your proposal as a guide. How would you design your PowerPoint to professionally present your proposal? After creating a PowerPoint, you will save it as a .pdf and upload it to voicethread.psu.edu. You will then create a narrated presentation of your proposal. See the links in the course for FAQ about Penn State’s VoiceThread.
Attached is the memo that I chose and two samples of the proposal( you can update step1, but please make sure to do step 2 and 3).